Recently, Careem decided to build and ship a SuperApp – instead of the several apps we had in the Play store, the intention was to replace them with a single app that combined their functionalities. Initially, we thought this would be straight forward – after all, how hard could it be? Little did we know that we’d not only have to tackle and solve some interesting problems we hadn’t thought about before, but that this experience would end up changing the way that we operate as Android developers within the organization as a whole.
The intention of this talk is to share our experiences and learnings from this work. Some of the topics include:
– how we transformed our existing apps into libraries
– problems we ran into when combining multiple apps (dependency management, resource conflicts, startup time, DI, …)
– core libraries we built to share analytics, interaction with 3rd party SDKs, etc.
– how we structured our release process
– how building this SuperApp made us go from working in silos to working as a single team