Threading Made Easy! A Busy Developer’s Guide to Kotlin Coroutines & Flows
July 23, 2021 12:40 PM 1:10 PM ONLINE
Kotlin Coroutines is a powerful threading library for Kotlin, released by JetBrains in 2018. At The New York Times, we recently migrated our core libraries and parts of our News app from RxJava to Kotlin Coroutines. In this talk we’ll share lessons learned and best practices to understand, migrate to, and use Kotlin Coroutines & Flows.
In this presentation, you will learn:
- What Coroutines are and how they function
- How to use Kotlin Coroutines & Flows (with real world examples and demos)
- Where and why you should use Coroutines & Flows in your app
- How to avoid the pitfalls of Coroutines
- Kotlin Coroutines vs. RxJava
- Lessons learned from migrating to Kotlin Coroutines from RxJava in large legacy projects & libraries
By the end of this talk, you will be able to apply Kotlin Coroutines to your own app, run the provided sample code yourself, and convince your team to give Kotlin Coroutines a try!